Christianity and Computing
The faculty at Calvin College regularly reflect on the integration of faith and learning, especially as they relate to computer science and information systems. Here are some essays from our own faculty as well as links to other related work.
- Joel Adams
- Pat Bailey
- Victor Norman
- Harry Plantinga
- Keith Vander Linden
- Derek C. Schuurman
- Modern Devices and Ancient Disciplines, Faith Today, November/December 2017.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, Pro Rege, September, 2017.
- Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach (with examples from Computer Science), Pro Rege, March 2016.
- Technology Has a Message, Christian Educators Journal, February 2012.
- Steering a Course for Artificial Intelligence, The Banner, October 2018.
- Various articles published in "In All Things"
- Various articles published in Christian Courier
- Derek C. Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, InterVarsity Press, 2013. See also Derek’s companion website for the book.
Unfettered Hope: A Call to Faithful Living in an Affluent Society, Westminster John Knox Press, 2003.
- Being Fluent and Faithful in a Digital World, edited by Steve VanderLeest, Jeff Nyhoff, and Nancy Zylstra.
- Quentin Schultze:
- High-Tech Worship, Baker Book House, 2004.
- Internet for Christians, Gospel Films Publications, 1996.
- Allen Emerson & Cheryl Forbes, The Invasion of the Computer Culture, InterVarsity Press, 1989.
- Stephen V. Monsma (ed), Responsible Technology, William B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1986.
- George Grant, Technology & Justice, University of Notre Dame Press, 1986.
- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society, Alfred A. Knopf Pub. Co., 1964.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, a talk given by Derek Schuurman at the 2016 Faith & Work Conference, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York City, November 2016.
- Responsible Automation, a talk given by Derek Schuurman for the Hamilton Science and Faith Forum and the Canadian Scientific and Christian Affiliation (CSCA), McMaster Divinity College, March 3, 2017.
- Connecting Bytes and Beliefs: A Personal Story, a talk by Derek Schuurman given for a Dordt College Engineering Society Dinner, October 18, 2018.
- An interview about Shaping a Digital World, October 29, 2014.
- Technology and Liberalism, a panel at the Faith and Democracy in America conference, Calvin College, December 6, 2018.
Other Resources on Christianity and Computing
- Artificial Intelligence in Christian Thought and Practice, a series of reflections by J. Nathan Matias, Lydia Manikonda, Scott Hale, and Kenneth Arnold (October, 2017).
- Discerning the Body in Cyberspace: Jason Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment, by Justin Bailey, in Christian Scholars Review (Spring 2016).
- In the Beginning was Technology, James K.A. Smith, The Banner, February 2016.
- The Fall 2015 issue of God and Nature magazine is devoted to the theme: Technology & the Church, and includes several interesting essays.
- Open Source Software and Christian Thought, by Karl-Dieter Crisman, from the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation, (March 2015). This article includes many interesting quotes and has a particular rich bibliography.
- Introducing Open Source and the Raspberry Pi to Schools in Developing Nations, by Derek Schuurman, from the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation, (March 2015).
- Outsourced Memory: Computers and Conversation, by Noreen Hertzfield, from the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation, (Sept 2013).
- The March 2012 issue of the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation is devoted to the theme: Responsible Technology and Issues of Faith.
- The Feb 2012 issue of the Christian Educators Journal is devoted to the theme:The Impact of Social Media and Technology in Schools, featuring these articles among others:
- The December 2011 issue of the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation is devoted to the theme: Information, Intelligence, and Origins, with several articles on genomic information.
- Artificial Intelligence and the Soul, by Russell C. Bjork of Gordon College, from the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation (June 2008); plus a letter of response from David F. Siemens Jr. in the following issue.
- Forming a Christian View of Computer Technology, by Derek Schuurman of Redeemer University College, from the ACMS Journal (2007).
- From Kim Kihlstrom of Westmont College:
- Object Information Repository in a Christian Theory of Technology, by Longy O. Anyanwu, of Trinity Christian College, from the ACMS Journal (2006).
- Computer Origins and the Defense of the Faith, by John Warwick Montgomery from the Journal of the American Scientific Affliliation (2004)
- Used Body For Sale (2003), by Eric Gossett of Bethel University (Minnesota).
- From Kevin Kelly (founding editor of Wired):
- From the Donald Knuth:
- From Anne Foerst:
- The Great Experimenter by James Morse, from the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation (1997)
- Computers and the Information Revolution by Kerby Anderson of Probe Ministries (1997)
- Parables for Modern Academia (1996), by Loren and Debra Haarsma.
- The Assumptions of Computing (1994), by Jim Huggins of Kettering University.
- An Essay on Orthodox Faith and Programming (undated) from the Free Orthodox Software website.
- Ethics in Computer Science (undated), by J. Barry DeRoos of Messiah College.
- Christian Computing Magazine, a (now apparently defunct) magazine that explored how computing technology could enhance ministry.
- Deus Ex Machina, or The True Computerist (undated; early 1980s?), by Tom Pittman.
Less Serious Links