IDIS 110: Lab 1
In this lab exercise, we will familiarize ourselves with three
basic information technologies at Calvin: Knightvision, electronic
mail and Novell network drives. If you have any questions about any
of these exercises, don't hesitate to ask me for help.
Start by logging into your windows lab machine using the Novell
login and password you received during orientation.
For this exercise, I'd like you to use Knightvision to answer some
preliminary questions on your knowledge of research and information
technology. To fill out the survey:
- login to Knightvision using your KV login and password. You
should have these from orientation.
- Once in KV, you can find the survey in Knightvision under "RIT"
- Answer all of the questions based on honest reflection on what you
do and do not know. This survey will not be graded.
2. Electronic Mail
For this exercise, you'll use Microsoft Word to create a small
information sheet on yourself using Microsoft Word. Do this as
- Open the following Microsoft Word document: mini-autobiography.doc
- Fill in the fields appropriately. If you have nothing to say for
one of them, then just leave that field blank.
- Save this file on your local hard drive somewhere, say under "My
Documents". We'll move to a more private area in the next exercise,
so you don't need worry about laying your personal information around
for very long.
- Use Webmail to email your
Word document to the grader. To use Webmail, login in using the email
login and password you received during orientation, then do the
- Click "Compose" to create a new email.
- Enter the grader's email into the "To:" field
- Put a short not in the email body to the effect that "find the lab
#1 auto-biography exercise attached.
- Click "Attachments", browse for your word document, then click
- Click "Send" to send the email message with the attachment.
- Be sure to log out of webmail when you are finished.
You can find information on how to contact me on my home page and on how to
contact the grader on the course
3. Your Novell Network Drive
For this final exercise, move your autobiography Word document from
your local hard drive (C:) to your Novell network drive
(G: by default in the lab). This will ensure that your file
stay private, that it will be automatically backed up by Calvin's
standard backup routines, and that you can access the file from any
machine on campus.
One easy way to do this is to use the Windows Explorer, as
- Start the Windows Explorer by clicking mouse-right on the Windows
"Start" button and choosing "Explore".
- Use the file tree in the left Explorer pane to find the Word
autobiography document you just created and saved. It's probably
under "My Documents".
- Click mouse-right on the document file in the right Explorer pane,
and choose "Cut". Note that choosing "Copy" will leave a version of
your personal data on the machine's hard drive, which might still be
visible to a suitably motivated future user of that machine.
- Now use the file tree to find the G: drive, and click
mouse-right in the directory pane on the right and choose "Paste". MS
Windows should move the windows file from "My Documents" to your
When you are finished with all the exercises, remember to log out
of MS Windows. If you don't you session may stand open for anyone
else to use.
Checking in: When you've done with the 3 exercises, you are
finished with this lab.
Last modified: Tue Aug 17 15:21:01 Eastern Daylight Time 2004