Learning Objectives for Week 1
Students will be able to...
- Explain the concepts of multiplexing and demultiplexing.
- Describe the conepts of packet switching, internetworking, interoperability, and a communications protocol.
- Name the layers of the 5-layer TCP/IP model.
- Describe in general what each layer in the model does.
- Explain using the whiteboards (or some other analogy) what encapsulation and de-encapsulation means.
- Differentiate between a stream-oriented and message-oriented communication paradigm.
- Explain the client-server model to their grandmother.
- Explain the characteristics of a server and a client.
- Explain how a service running on a computer is identified.