Reading Guide for "Technology has a Message" with Answers
- Complete this sentence: "This notion fails to recognize that
technology itself _embeds a message_.
- Because technology is a response to God, we have both
_freedom_____ and __responsibility_______.
- Andy Crouch suggests two questions to ask about
culture/technology. They are:
1. __What does it make possible?_______________________________________
2. __What does it make impossible or more difficult?________________________
- Fill in the blanks: "In other words, __technology____ is value-laden,
and these values make some things
possible, while at the same time __making others more difficult___.
- What does "value-laden" means?
_Value-laden means that some values of the creators are embedded in
the technology itself.
These values might be the importance (or unimportance) of efficiency,
beauty, society, robustness, e.g. ____
- Schuurman writes, "Furthermore, we are gradually shaped as
certain ways of thinking and knowing are
amplified and others are muted." What ways of thinking are
amplified or muted by Microsoft Word? (Perhaps
compare the use of it to writing on paper or using a
typewriter.) __Because word processors allow the user to
correct mistakes quickly, the user does not have to have all her
thoughts in a completed form before beginning
her writing. This is an advantage, as it allows the user to
brainstorm and form ideas as she is writing. It is
a disadvantage as it does not force the user to develop her ideas first
and then write them later. This may lead
to poorly developed ideas.
- Is adoption of technology unstoppable? What would change if
you gave up your cell phone or closed
your Facebook account?
______For some people, they would be viewed as backward or
unsociable if they
did not have a facebook account or didn't have a cell phone on which to
text "constantly". ________
- What has the web made more difficult, according to Nicolas Carr?
_ deep thinking _____
- According to a 2009 research study, screen-based technology
improves "visual-spatial skills," while at the
same time it weakens __"deep processing"_______ and "mindful
inductive analysis, _____critical thinking____________, __imagination___,