Reading Guide for "Image Compression" and "Video Compression"
- A 200 by 200 pixel image using 3 bytes (24 bits) per pixel will
use how many kilobytes of space?
- Define "lossy compression". Lossy compression means
that some of the original data in the image
is lost when the image is compressed.
- A video can be thought of as a series of still
images shown one after another in quick succession
- How many KB (kilobytes) of storage space would it take to store
one second of a small video of
dimensions 640 x 480? ____ 21,600 KB_________________________
- Why is it important, nay, crucial, that videos be compressed? _If
videos were not compressed, they
would be so large in size that you could only store about 4 minutes of
640x480 video on a DVD.
- Briefly explain the two basic methods to compress video. _Spatial
encoding takes advantage of
similarities within a single frame of a movie. Temporal encoding
takes advantage of similarities
between multiple successive frames of a video. _________________________________________
- Complete this sentence: "Most commonly used video compression
systems are variations of _MPEG___."