An Analysis of How to Use Technology Best
IDIS 110 for Prof. Victor Norman
Many of us have most of the following devices and capabilities:
All of these devices/capabilities are mechanisms to communicate. How
does a Christian Calvin student best choose which communication
mechanism to use at which time? How often, how long, and in what
situations should a Christian Calvin student use these technologies
- phone call,
- IM client (google chat, etc.)
- face-to-face conversation
Write a one to two page paper summarizing your thoughts on these
questions. (You may use Microsloth Word, Google docs, or
something on a Mac.)
I want you to be idealistic. That is, I want you to think about the best
use of these technologies. You must write a section on each
technology that you personally use. (So, if you never use IMing
you don't have to write about IMing. If you never talk to anyone
face-to-face, you don't have to write a section on that.)
You may format your thoughts as a bulleted list of rules. Example:
Rules Regarding Texting
- You never text while driving.
- It is always better to talk face-to-face than to text.
(Note: don't say this if you don't believe that it is ALWAYS better.)
- Some statement comparing texting with phoning, perhaps.
- Do not use texting when you require an immediate answer. Do not
get in the habit of expecting an immediate answer to a text.
- Never send or receive text messages when having a face-to-face
conversation with someone else.
Rules Regarding Email
- Usually it is better to talk face-to-face than to use email.
However, emailing is better when you need to communicate specific
details and you need a record of your communication.
Please use complete sentences in your writing.
After completing your thoughts on the best use of the various
communication mechanisms, then please write a section in your paper in
which you "confess" the ways in which you do not follow these
- 10 pts: Formatting: correctly formatted document. Make sure
the document has a title and you include your name, course, and date.
- 5 pts: Completeness: you have both sections -- the Rules and the
- 15 pts: Depth: you demonstrated that you spent time thinking
about this assignment.