Recommended Readings for New Faculty in a Technology-Related Discipline
Are you a new faculty member in computer science looking for some readings to grow as a Christian scholar?
Here are some resources that have been helpful to me (however, your mileage may vary).
Note that this list is far from complete - there are many thoughtful resources
and new ones continue to be published.
First, if you are a new professor, you may want to read this Letter to a young professor.
Additional recommended readings are listed below under various categories related to the calling of a Christian professor
in a technology related discipline.
General Christian Worldview Resources
- Albert M. Wolters, Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview, Eerdmans, 2005.
- Bruce R. Ashford, Every Square Inch: An Introduction to Cultural Engagement for Christians, Lexham Press, 2015.
- Andy Crouch, Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling, IVP, 2008.
- James K.A. Smith, You are What You Love, Brazos, 2016.
General Faith and Technology Resources
- Derek Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, IVP Academic, 2013.
- Ethan J. Brue, Derek C. Schuurman, Steven H. VanderLeest,
A Christian Field Guide to Technology for Engineers and Designers,
IVP Academic, in publication for spring 2022. (companion website)
- Craig Gay, Modern Technology and the Human Future, IVP Academic, 2018.
- Derek C. Schuurman,
Technology and the Biblical Story, Pro Rege, Vol. 46, No. 1, September, 2016, pp. 4-11.
- James K. Huggins, The Assumptions of Computing
- James K.A. Smith, In the Beginning was Technology, The Banner, February 2016.
- Joel Adams, Computing Technology: Created, Fallen, In Need Of Redemption?
- Derek C. Schuurman, Connecting Bytes and Christian Beliefs, CSR Blog, October, 2020.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Psalm 8 Includes Computers, CSR Blog, May 2021.
- Derek C. Schuurman, The Meaning of Technology, InterVarsity's Emerging Scholars Blog, July 24, 2015.
Resources on Specific Technology Issues
- Matthew Dickerson, The Mind and the Machine: What It Means to Be Human and Why It Matters, Brazos Press, 2011.
- Jacob Shatzer, Transhumanism and the Image of God, IVP Academic, 2018.
- Derek C. Schuurman, The Social Dilemma, CSR Blog, February 2021.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Faith and Weapons of Math Destruction, a reflection on Cathy O'Neil's Weapons of Math Destruction, Broadway Books, 2017.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Modern Devices and Ancient Disciplines, Faith Today, November/December 2017.
- Neil Postman, Technopoly, Vintage, 1993.
- Nicholas Carr, The Shallows, W.W. Norton & Company, 2010.
- Nicholas Carr, The Glass Cage, W.W. Norton & Company, 2014.
- Sherry Turkle, Reclaiming Converstaion, Penguin, 2016.
- Cathy O'Neil, Weapons of Math Destruction, Broadway books, 2016.
Christian Teaching Resources
- David Smith, On Christian Teaching: Practicing Faith in the Classroom, Eerdmans, 2018.
- Derek C. Schuurman,
Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach,
Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Forging a Christian College Core Curriculum,
Christian Scholars Review Blog, April 9, 2021.
- Derek Schuurman, Advising Students and Discerning Direction, Christian Scholars Review Blog, March 2021.
- Steven Garber, The Fabric of Faithfulness, IVP, 2007.
- An example of Christian college service trips using computer technology
Christian Vocation Resources
- Richard Mouw, Called to the Life of the Mind, Eerdmans, 2014.
- Lee Hardy, The Fabric of this World, Eerdmans, 1990.
- Tim Keller, Every Good Endeavor, Penguin Books, 2014.
- Os Guiness, The Call, Thomas Nelson, 2003.
This page maintained by Derek Schuurman.