Hands On C++
An on-line laboratory manual for learning C++
Except for Lab 1, each of the exercises in this lab manual
are password protected. (Lab 1 is unprotected for examination
Since August 1999, this lab manual has been distributed via CD-ROM
with this site being used for updates to the
manual. Since that time, Labs 2 and following have been password
protected, and the password is given on the lab manual CD. Starting
with the third edition, this lab manual is available in both
electronic and printed versions.
Each lab consists of three basic parts:
- Pre-lab questions. An instructor may assign these to be
completed before a closed lab session.
- The lab exercise. This is the actual hands-on work.
This includes going through some example code and writing some
original code. Each lab exercise also asks questions along the
way, usually about compiler errors or OCD steps, which students
should answer as part of the exercise.
- Homework assignments. These projects ask the students to
write their own original program using the concepts and principles
learned in the lab exercise.
- Instructor's notes: notes for instructors to
highlight certain aspects of each lab. (Online only)
- Updates: for updating the manual. (Online
- Compressed program files: supplies all of the provided code needed
for the lab exercises.
© 2003 by
All rights reserved.
Report all errors to Jeremy D. Frens.