Scholarships and Awards
For scholarship applications, one online application (on Calvin’s Portal) is all that needs to be completed. It is used for all department, division and college named scholarships. Two faculty recommendations are required for the on-line application. One must be from the department of your major.
Department Scholarships and Awards
A computer science major must be listed on your AER to be considered for the following CS department scholarships:
Steven DeRose Family Scholarships – the DeRose scholarship is given to a strong first year computer science major, and it normally continues through their second year.
Larry and Sharlene Nyhoff Scholarship in Computer Science – the Nyhoff scholarship is given to a strong first year computer science major or minor.
VanderBrug Scholarships – The VanderBrug scholarships are given to upper-division students in computer science.
DornerWorks Computer/Software Engineering Scholarship – The DornerWorks scholarship is awarded to a student who is interested in embedded systems.
CCA Computing Award – The CCA computing award is given to the top graduating senior in computer science.
CISA Information Systems Award – The CISA information systems award is given to the top graduating senior in information systems.
Science Division Scholarships
Computer Science majors with an interest in science are strongly encouraged to apply for a NSF Scientific Computation Scholarship. These scholarships target students who are interested in integrating computing and the natural sciences, and provide up to four years of support.
You may also refer to the scholarship search database for more information on scholarships for Calvin students.
Here are some external scholarships that our students have applied for and/or received over the years:
- Google’s Anita Borg Memory Scholarship - for women, deadline is Feb 1
- CRA-W Distributed Mentoring program – for women, due in early February
- Datatel Scholars Foundation scholarships – for all students, due in late January
- Microsoft Scholarships – a variety of scholarship types, due February 1
- NASA MUST Scholarship Project – focussed on minority students, due February 1
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program – research-oriented, due in January and February
- Society of Women Engineers – for women
- Undergraduate Excellence in Software Testing Award – for any student interested in software testing
- BrainTrack Computer Science Degree Scholarships - $1,000 and $500 scholarships for students majoring in CS or IT. Scholarships are awarded twice per year; submission deadlines are Nov 1 and March 1 each year.
Other computing-related scholarships can be found here:
- ScholarshipsandGrants.us – A repository of financial aid resources for students.